How We Celebrated Fay’s 30th Anniversary During a Pandemic
This year, our community celebrated The Fay School's 30th Anniversary honoring our founder, Marie Fay Evnochides, and her vision to create a school where children come first. Despite a pandemic, we celebrated this historic milestone by hosting a series of safe events that engaged the entire Fay community including students, parents, grandparents, friends of Fay, alumni, and staff. Planning this event series took teamwork, resilience, and creativity. Here is how we did it.
Through creative event planning, we were determined to safely celebrate this major milestone. In a typical year, Fay’s fundraising would focus on two distinct endeavors: a Fall Annual Fund drive and a Spring Gala. This year, to stay aligned with our COVID-19 safety protocols, we designed a series of events in place of our annual gala. Our goal was to celebrate and find safe activities that all of our constituents could engage in based on their comfort levels and personal interests.
Make It Happen
We are so fortunate to have such an active and engaged parent community. Our volunteer committees helped brainstorm ideas and more importantly, bring them to life! Each event required attention to detail and thorough planning from the committee parents. Below you can read more about each of the events included in the 30th Anniversary event series.
- Fay Goes Outdoors for 30 - Participants committed to a fitness challenge from a provided menu (run a mile for 30 days, hula hoop for 30 seconds straight, or find the 30 scavenger hunt items in Buffalo Bayou Park) for 30 days and gathered pledges to support their participation.
- Fay Day of Service with Generation Serve – Members of our community participated in a variety of service projects organized by our parent volunteers and Generation Serve.
- Grandparent and Special Friend's Celebration – Students created special artwork for their Grandparents and Special Friends. The artwork was sent along with student pictures and a unique Fay magnet frame to our grandparents and special friends!
- Online Auction – A myriad of amazing auction items were collected and placed on an online platform. Many local businesses and parents gave generously to this component of our Celebration.
- Golf Tournament at Memorial Park Golf Course - New, occasional, and veteran golfers joined us at Memorial Park Golf Course for Fay’s first-ever Golf Tournament!
- Virtual Art Show - Each spring, our campus is transformed by our student’s inspiring artwork. This year, we continued this tradition through a virtual landscape. View our virtual art show here.
- The 30th Anniversary Drive Through Experience and Virtual Celebration.
- Check out our Drive-Through highlight here.
- We had several drop-ins from celebrity friends during the Virtual Celebration!
Stay True to Your School
As we planned the series, we were extremely mindful that it needed to be authentic to who we are as a community and school. Our strategic plan is the north star of all we do at Fay, and it guided us throughout this planning process. Below is a list of ways our strategic plan priorities were incorporated into our celebration.
- Priority 1: Deepen Leadership Development Through Emotional Intelligence
- Students served as leaders in their community as they planned and participated in service projects throughout the city of Houston.
- Priority 2: Redefine the Academic Experience by Excelling in Experiential & Outdoor Learning
- We encouraged our students and their families to engage in outdoor activities and learning during Fay Goes Outdoors for 30.
- Priority 3: Reimagine Time, Place, and Assessment
- All proceeds from the 30th Celebration Series will support During our efforts to update our indoor and outdoor classroom furniture as part of strategic plan priority three which supports enhancing the functionality of our learning spaces.
- Priority 4: Create Valuable Community Partnerships
- We leveraged two of our strategic partnerships and collaborated with Buffalo Bayou Partnership for Fay Goes Outdoors for 30 and Generation Serve for Fay’s Day of Service.
Fay’s future is bright and we are so excited to make some of these events Fay traditions in years to come! This year allowed us to strengthen our innovation muscles, taking a different approach to many things, including fundraising events. Cheers to many more years of the Fay School and thank you to all the friends and families who helped make our celebration possible.
About Monica Berckley: Monica joined the Fay Leadership Team in June of 2020 as the Director of Advancement. When not at Fay, Monica enjoys spending time with her husband, Jay, and their three beautiful daughters, Madeleine, Lydia, and Tallulah.