Fay Makes Strides Towards Strategic Goals by Partnering with Houston Organizations
This year, for the third time, a Fay Gator team entered the Buffalo Bayou Regatta, the largest canoe and kayak race in Texas. Our team braved the elements and canoed almost 14 miles of Buffalo Bayou and were cheered on by Fay Friends and Family who were able to view part of the race course from the Fay Forest which overlooks the Bayou.
One of Fay’s top strategic priorities is to “Create Valuable Community Partnerships” and supporting the Buffalo Bayou Partnership through participation in the 50th Annual Buffalo Bayou Regatta is one of many ways the school is striving towards this goal.
Here are a few of the partnerships The Fay School has forged or fostered in the past two years that have had a major impact on student learning:
- Ready to Grow Gardens, which helped us bring Garden Days to Fay.
- Moonshot Compost, which helped Fifth Grade Leaders on a recent PBL.
- Generation Serve, which helped us celebrate our 30th Anniversary through service.
- Houston Zoo, which helped Second Grade Leaders create Fay’s nationally recognized mascot.
- Greater Houston Partnership, where Fay is now a partner and angling to gain membership on their Sustainability and Headquarters Committees.
- Houston Arboretum and Nature Center, which has helped the School with Teacher In-service.
- Memorial Park Conservancy, which hosted our first ever Golf Tournament and where Fay used green spaces for Lead It Forward Programming.
- Shell Oil Inc., which lent a few of their engineers that helped the Class of 2021 study the impact of carbon emissions in carpool.
- Rice University, where Fay recently sent four Primary Lead Teachers to complete the Classroom Storytelling Program within Rice’s School Literacy and Culture Program.
- Barnes & Noble, which hosted the School’s Annual Book Fair.
- Trust Based Observations, which has enhanced how Fay supports teachers as they develop their teaching craft.
The Fay School, once known as Houston’s hidden gem, is actively establishing itself within the Houston community by fostering partnerships with likeminded organizations. By intentionally looking past The Fay School’s 8.5+ acres, the school has enhanced student learning opportunities and strengthened the school’s mission of building and educating the next generation of leaders for the world.
Check out photos of this year's Gator Team at the Buffalo Bayou Regatta: