Required Reading for 5th grade:
- Incoming 5th graders are required to read a total of 4 books over the summer.
- Read the following 2 books:
* Peak by Roland Smith
**Because of Mr. Terrupt by Rob Buyea
- Choose 2 other books from the HAISLN 5th grade list. The list is a wonderful resource for summer reading compiled by the Houston Area Independent School Librarians each year.
- Please fill out and bring your Reading Log to your 5th grade teacher the first week of school.
- Students will be using their summer reading in class lessons and assignments such as comprehension checks and literature circle work. Some of these in class assignments will be taken as daily reading grades.
*Peak by Roland Smith
The emotional, tension-filled story of a 14-year-old boy's attempt to be the youngest person to reach the top of Mount Everest is an action-packed adventure about friendship, sacrifice, family and the drive to
take on Everest, despite the incredible risk.
**Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea
It's the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There's . . . Jessica, the new girl, smart and perceptive, who's having a hard time fitting in; Alexia, a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next; Peter, class prankster and troublemaker; Luke, the brain; Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy Anna, whose home situation makes her an outcast; and Jeffrey, who hates school. Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn't let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident changes everything-and everyone.